HOME       VOLUNTEER OVERSEAS       BLOGS

Tuesday 17 April 2018

Working in a new cultural environment

Before coming to Rwanda, I could not have told you much about its cultural practices and norms. More than that, I could not have told you much about Rwanda itself. I knew Kinyarwanda was the national language, and that French and English were common second or third languages to most. I knew Christianity was the widespread religion. On the one hand, this was daunting – I was going to feel so out of place. On the other hand, this was an amazing opportunity to learn about Rwandan culture.

Arriving in Rwanda was quite an overwhelming experience. I had no idea what to expect. Coupled with having not slept in over a day, this felt quite surreal. We may not have been the centre of attention in Kigali, but in Huye it is a different story. Crowds hush and turn to stare as you pass. People often shout at you and try to talk to you but it isn’t hostility. I found this difficult to handle at first; I don’t enjoy being the centre of attention, let alone being stared and shouted at in a public space. Children stop to shake your hand and the word ‘muzungu’ flies around at least thirty times a day. You get used to it, and learn to understand that you are a new and different person in the community.

Dan surveying one of the kitchen gardens the team built.


















Being able to speak French has put me in a good position. It makes it easier to communicate with people and negotiate prices at the market. French doesn’t save you though. Before I arrived I was excited to learn a new language. Kinyarwanda is like no language I have ever learned before, and it certainly isn’t easy. I made a point to learn greetings and thank you as early as possible. It makes it easier to talk to people, and it is much appreciated. Over ten weeks I have thoroughly enjoyed learning Kinyarwanda. It has improved my relationship with my host family and with my counterpart. We sit down and learn new phrases and words, which has been so enjoyable. I am proud of the progress I have made and think this has been one of the most memorable experiences from my time in Rwanda.

Before coming to Rwanda, I felt nervous about the work we would be doing. I did not feel qualified to run sessions on human rights, nutrition or hygiene and sanitation. Moreover, I felt apprehensive about public speaking, especially in front of people from a different culture who may not share my mother-tongue. I wanted to contribute to sustainable development in any way I could. Over the ten weeks, my confidence has grown. I have become more independent and capable of setting direction and aims. Despite not knowing much about certain topics, I was able to research them and feel confident in the knowledge I acquired. I begun to believe in my ability to create resources on them. 

I have always been a rather introverted and solitary person. The prospect of spending ten weeks with other people in an intense and social environment scared me. At the start, I felt intimidated by being with so many people I didn’t know. I came to realise that the intense atmosphere made it much easier to get to know people. We spent so much time together that I had no choice but to talk to the others and tell them about myself. I found that many of the UKV's were just like me – nervous about coming to Rwanda. This helped us bond, and it helped me to feel more comfortable. I now feel like an integral member of the group, and I feel I can be myself without being judged. This experience has made me feel more confident in myself. I can now talk to people I don’t know without feeling uncomfortable, and I have made friends here that I intend to stay in touch with.

Team photo on International Women's Day.

I would argue that living in my host home has been the most memorable experience I have had in Rwanda. My host parents have been so welcoming and kind. I felt nervous about meeting them, but upon arrival they both gave me a big hug and made me feel at home. We have long talks at the dinner table about home as well as our likes and dislikes. I have learned so much about Rwandan culture  from them, and I hope they have learned about my culture too. I will never forget my experience with them. I have learned new food recipes and loved the food. 

The kindness and hospitality shown to me by Mama and Papa Cedou has been incredible. My relationship with my host brothers Derek, Cedric and Eric has been amazing. Derek and I regularly play and watch movies together. Although Cedric is at boarding school, I got a chance to visit him and spend time with him over the Easter holidays. Eric and I always watch the football together, and talk about it all the time. I could not be more grateful to my wonderful host family, who I hope to visit in the future and share stories and memories with.


I will greatly cherish this experience. I have become more self-aware, more patient and more understanding of new and different cultures. I hope to come back to Rwanda in the future. Nahu mo kanya, Rwanda!    


Dan Greener
Photos by Rabeya Ullah

No comments:

Post a Comment